Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thing 7: Face-to-face Networks and Professional Organizations

Modified from an image by scad_lo.  Used under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY-2.0) license.

The topics of Thing 7 coordinated nicely with my outside events in my life.

Just as the topic of professional organizations appeared, I received membership renewal notices from two of the professional organizations to which I belong: ALA and PLA, a division of ALA.  As I renewed both memberships, I revised the list of other ALA subgroups to which I belong.  I did not renew membership in groups in which I did not actively participate, even if I found the idea of them admirable.  As I am attempting to transition into another area of librarianship, I added memberships to two subgroups related to the area I wish to join.  I know these two groups are active and lively; I look forward to the coming year!  The other major change this time around is that I no longer qualify for a discounted membership.  Nevertheless, I believe the money was well spent.

Although no face-to-face meet-ups were scheduled nearby, I did do a bit of personal networking.  I asked four new people to be references and all of them readily agreed.  Two of them even wrote letters of reference on short notice.  The takeaway lessons from this experience are that
  1. It never hurts to ask.
  2. Most people are willing to help. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment