Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thing 12: Putting the Social into Social Media

Apologies to all:  I had written this post, but apparently clicked on "Save Now" instead of "Publish Post."

Although I had already used a good number of social media before this project, I had not used them in the context of professional development.  I had a LinkedIn account, which I used to link with others in my library school program or with previous connections.  I had a Twitter account, which I used enthusiastically for about 6 months and then let gather dust.  I had a Google Docs account, a Dropbox account, a Zotero account, and a few other accounts that I had used for various class projects.  Through this program, however, I have begun using them intentionally to increase my skills and to gain ideas for the future.

With the focus of this week on being "social," I made an extra effort to use some of my social media accounts.  I reconnected with people on my LinkedIn network, contributed to a group discussion on Twitter, posted new status updates on Facebook, and commented on others'  walls in Facebook.  With how busy the past few weeks have been, I might not have connected with all of these people if it had not been for this week's Thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment