Saturday, June 25, 2011

Thing 2: Explore Other Blogs

Thing 2 exploits one of the benefits of participating in a course: the chance to interact with others.  I enjoyed reading other people's blogs, although I only chose a handful of the ones out there.  I passed over the delicious groupings and chose blogs that caught my eye in the complete list of participants.  The blogs ranged from professional-looking, established blogs to informal blogs where the focus was clearly not on finding a readership.  The range of perspectives and backgrounds made the reading even more interesting.  I looked at blogs from many different countries, from people in every stage of their library career, and from people in many different types of libraries.  The variety of librarians' personalities shown through.  I particularly appreciated the quirky and clever titles participants had chosen: librarians are a creative bunch! 

I even found two blogs with tips I plan to explore in more depth.  World's Deadliest Librarian (http://worldsdeadliestlibrarian.blogspot.com/) included a nice bit of code tweaking to add an option to reply to comments in a blog.  Murfsturf Library Blog (http://murfsturflibrary.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-tend-to-get-tongue-tied-when-i-speak.html) cued me in to a kid-friendly talking avatar service called Voki™ [Voki™ is a trade mark of Oddcast].  The program is already showing its worth!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the love.

    I'm brand new to my job. In fact, I haven't even been in my school library yet, but I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I'll be able to incorporate web 2.0 (specifically Voki) into my new position.

    ReplyDelete