Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thing 18: Screen capturing, Screencasting, and Podcasting

Sharing information visually or aurally simplifies communication.  Pictures convey large chunks of information at once and often transcend language barriers.  With the rise of mp3 players, audio recordings have risen in popularity.  Both options allow the creator to share information in alternate formats, reaching more users.  When text overwhelms, images, videos, and audio recordings engage readers while saving time.

Screen capturing: Images

Until a few years ago, I vaguely knew that it was possible to take a picture of what was on a computer screen, but I had no idea how to do it.  I had seen these images in tutorials and in a computer science textbook put together by a few of the professors at my college.  Then, when I began the library program, the program's technology staff put together workshops on tools that would be useful throughout the program.  These workshops included instructions for how to take screenshots.  I was pleased to learn that with a few quick key strokes, I could capture the image on my screen.  I quickly memorized the strategy that worked with my Windows-based computer.  I now also remember how to take screenshots on a Mac.  Every time I wanted to take a screenshot on one of the college's Dual-boot computers, however, I had to either ask for help or track down the online guide that accompanied the technology workshops.  I still do not remember the trick. 

Since that time, I have been introduced to other ways to capture images.  Through one of my professsors, I discovered Jing, which allows users to quickly capture just a portion of the screen.  Figuring out how to use the target lines to select part of my screen took a few minutes, but soon became routine.  I appreciate the simple annotation tools Jing provides as well.  I have turned to Jing a few times for putting together projects for class, for showing others where a particular link  or button is, and for creating a step-by-step guide for using the "Mail Merge" feature in Microsoft Word.  My go-to resource, however, is now the Snipping Tool that is installed in newer Windows machines.  As with Jing, I can use this tool to capture part of a page and to annotate it.  I can choose to capture the entire screen, a rectangular portion of it, or a free-form section of it.  I can do all of this without needing a pesky icon on my desktop.  (I often accidentally clicked on the Jing sun or had to move it elsewhere so I could use a button or link on another screen).  I am fond of Jing, but prefer the Snipping Tool.

I looked over the pages for Lightshot, another screen capturing tool mentioned in this week's Thing.  I like the ease of using the print screen button to start the tool.  This process is much faster than either clicking on Jing's sun and choosing the image button or going into the start menu to click on the Snipping Tool.  I am satisfied with Snipping Tool however and see no reason to switch to Lightshot. 

Screencasting: Videos
 
I was introduced to screencasting through a required technology course in my library program.  The instructor shared a brief overview of each one and recommended Jing as a free option.  She recommended Camtasia, another tool from the company that produces Jing, for those who were willing to pay for fancier features.  Inspired, I went home and immediately downloaded Jing onto my computer.  I was thrilled to be able to capture not only images, but short videos!  I quickly made a few test videos on my computer.  I smiled the rest of the day.  The one limitation I found to Jing was the 5 minute time limit.  Although I know short tutorials are ideal, I would have preferred the option of making a longer video.  As the days passed, I also grew tired of the Jing sun icon.  I uninstalled Jing a few months after I had downloaded it.

For this Thing, I explored Screencast-o-matic.  I understood the basic concept of creating a screenshot from my experience with Jing, but I wanted to see how Screencast-o-matic differed.  Creating a video was easy.  All I had to do was click on a button and set the area I wanted to record.  I could pause my recording and resize the recording area as well.  Once I had recorded, I could upload it to YouTube or screencast-o-matic or I could save it to my computer.  I liked the flexibility and that Screencast-o-matic had a 15 minute recording limit.  The best part was that I had to neither download a program nor register to use the tool.  The next time I want to record a video tutorial, I will turn to Screencast-o-matic.

Podcasting: Audio

I discovered podcasting through my library program as well.  I periodically listed to podcasts put out by my school's technology center.  I occasionally had to listed to recorded class sessions when weather or unforeseen circumstances led to cancelled classes.  I even looked over another student's introduction to Audacity, the free online recording and editing program.  I never became a diehard fan of podcasting though.

I find listening to podcasts as stressful as I find them useful.  Frequently, the speaker has poor volume control, making them hard to understand.  This problem is compounded when the listening environment is somewhat noisy.  The classes I listened to were often recorded during a live class session from a previous year, which meant that speakers referred to visual elements that I could not see.  Even for planned content that is well-prepared, I find it hard to sit still to listen to a podcast.  I do not own a portable listening device, which means that I am strapped to my laptop when I want to listen.  I feel the urge to be doing something while I listen so that I am not just sitting and staring at a blank screen while I listen.  The easiest multitasking options on a computer have the problem of also being language-based.  If I read e-mail or write something, I miss parts of the podcast and end up being unproductive.  Podcasts are wonderful -- in theory -- but I have a hard time listening to them.

As when I discovered screencasting, however, I became excited by exploring Audacity.  In spite of my fellow student's assurances that Audacity was easy to use and had only a small learning curve, I was intimidated by all of the buttons.  Downloading and using it to record a basic message was much easier than I had anticipated.  I still need to read through the quick start guide and the user's manual in order to understand the many buttons and editing features, some of which are completely mystifying to me, but I am confident that I can learn them.

Unlike screencasts, Podcasts are content-based.  An audio tutorial would be much less effective than a screencast.  Audio recordings are perfect for sharing interesting content, however.  In a library setting, podcasts could be used  for virtual storytelling, for interviews with visiting authors or presenters, or for booktalking.  They could also be used for marketing upcoming programs. 

Next Steps
 
Now that I know how to create screencasts and podcasts, I need to learn to use them well.  As I mentioned earlier, technical difficulties hamper the effectiveness of these recordings and the best ones are created intentionally for one of these formats.  Effective podcasts and screencasts begin with planning.  They also require careful execution.  Many well-planned, interesting screencasts are ruined by a speaker's poor pacing or unexcited tone.  Podcasts may suffer from these faults as well.  Editing, careful attention to detail, and a willingness to re-record as necessary  will lead to higher quality products. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment