Saturday, September 17, 2011

Thing 19: Reflection II

I have enjoyed exploring all of the different topics over the past few weeks!  Some topics were timely and others were merely interesting to consider.  I had used, at least to some extent, a fair number of the different tools mentioned in the program, but many others have been new.

I continue to use these ones heavily:
  • RSS
  • Google Calendar
  • LinkedIn
These tools continue to prove invaluable for staying current on library-related topics, for organizing my schedule, and for connecting with others.  I see myself using them more and more in the years to come.

I have also begun to rely on these ones:
  • Google Blogger: The ease with which I can add new posts makes this tool one I will use regularly. 
  • Facebook:  I am using Facebook for personal connections, rather than work connections.  I have spoken to former classmates, former colleagues, friends I had lost touch with, and family members.  I was late to adopt Facebook, mostly due to concerns about privacy and about how easy I had heard it was for people to waste too much time on it.  So far, neither one of my hesitations has become true.  I use Facebook, and can find myself losing time looking through pictures or postings, but usually still only refer to it once or twice a week.
  • wikis: I use these frequently at the academic library where I work.  The other staff members and I put together pages on specific topics for students.  Recently, we have begun moving away from plain text pages.  I think the new format will draw more use!
I use these ones sporadically:
  • Twitter: Twitter can be useful for finding out current opinions, for sharing topics with the wider world, and for having real-time conversations with others.  I find the sheer amount of information a bit overwhelming.  Needing to log into the website also discourages regular use.  If I ever buy a smart phone, I may pick Twitter up again.
  • LISNPN: I checked this page frequently at first, but when my schedule became busy, I stopped visiting it.  I have replaced it with listservs from other groups, such as YALSA.
  • GoogleDocs
I have yet to tackle these topics more in-depth:
  • Personal branding: Although I have attempted to unify my social media username, I have made little progress.  If I find a fitting open name in one tool, I find that someone is already using it in another.  This topic has been tabled for the time being.
  • Mentoring: I found a mentor, but have yet to ask a question.  Since it has been roughly a month since I made initial contact, I have been thinking about asking a question.  I have yet to decide what to ask.  I connected with a person who has experience in a position I would like to transition into and am not yet sure what would be most useful to know.  Without being in the position, I lack the context to know what topics are most pressing.  I am still brainstorming.
  • Real-life networking:  A few months ago, I planned to attend a library strategic-planning community discussion event going on in my area a few weeks ago, but had an unexpected conflict arise.  I was sad to have missed it!  I am keeping my eyes open for other events that fit my schedule.
At this time, I am not using these tools regularly and have no plans to use them in the foreseeable future:
  • Pushnote
  • Evernote: I loved this tool when we first explored it!  I could save just the bits that were interesting to me.  Any time I found something I wanted to remember, I added it to my Evernote account.  Unfortunately, my preferred browser has a tenuous relationship with Evernote.  During one of the last upgrades, I lost the ability to use Evernote.  On the plus side, I discovered a similar tool that I might be able to use instead: Pinterest.  It is on my list of things to explore.
  • DropBox:  Dropbox is most useful for sharing information in a group.  I have yet to find a group with whom I would be regularly exchanging documents.  In addition, I did not figure out how to get the drag-n-drop feature to work on my computer.
  • Zotero: When I am not writing papers regularly, Zotero seems unnecessary. 
  • Mendeley
  • CiteULike:  Aside from reading the overview of CiteULike, I did not explore it at all.  I understood the concept, but did not see an immediate application for it.
  • Jing: I appreciate Jing, but have found alternative tools that work better for me.  
  • Lightshot
I have not yet had a chance to actually use these tools:
  • Screencast-o-matic
  • Audacity
Another site that has introduced me to online resources is the Free Technology for Teachers blog.  I discovered this blog either through another cpd23 participant or through one of my Google alerts.  I immediately added it to my RSS feed and have been enjoying reading about other free online resources.  With cpd23 and Free Technology for Teachers, I am discovering so much about the many useful tools out there!

0 comments:

Post a Comment